Thursday, 27 December 2012

Sesame Ginger Meatballs

I've been good all day today, so I decided to make me and my boyfriend a (mostly) healthy dinner.



Sesame Ginger Meatballs (or that's at least what I'm calling them), sweet potato, salad, and some fresh brewed Chai for dessert.  My boyfriend's on a low-sodium regimen, so we went with the salad dressing that had the lowest amount of sodium.  The flip side - it has high fructose corn syrup and sugar in it.... why, I do not know. It's raspberry walnut... it should be pretty darn sweet on its own.

So here's the breakdown:

Salad
organic spring mix with lots of baby spinach
some cherry tomatoes
1/2 carrot
mozzarella cheese
sesame seeds
Rasberry Walnut dressing

Meatballs
about 1 lb of ground beef
2 spoonfuls of garlic
about 1/4 sweet onion minced
red pepper flakes (...1/4 tsp?)
paprika (not a lot...)
ginger (1/8 tsp?)
sesame seeds (... I covered the meat in the bowl with them, probably about 2 tbsp)
cook in sesame oil - throw in the sweet potato and some more minced onion about half way through cooking.  I didn't put salt in here, but they needed a little bit of salting.

Chai
I'm only putting this because it took me and my roommate several tries to get it tasting like the yummy store-bought stuff.  I brewed about two mugs' worth in a pot and then addd about a tablespoon of honey before whipping in the heavy cream (1 cup).  It's not exactly like the store-bought stuff, but it's pretty good!  It's a little watery...

I'm really pleased with the meatballs, especially since the last time (being the first time...) they were really dry.  These really just needed a tiny bit of salt to bring out the spices, and maybe could have used a bit more oil.  I put the oil in the pan when I fried them... maybe I should try mixing it in with the meat?  I have no idea.  Also, the sweet potatoes needed a tiny bit of salt as well, but not a lot.

So yeah, yummy treats.  I'm pleased.  Also, Merry (late) Christmas!

No comments: