Thursday, 1 November 2012

Personal Primal Challenge - Day 16

Back on track today, at least as far as food goes.  I got about 7 or so hours of sleep, but it was pretty bad sleep... I proceeded to take a nap on the table at the library before class on account of said bad sleep.. it wasn't very comfortable.

Anywho, recap on the day -
"Breakfast" (technically, though it was about 11:30 by the time I sat down to eat it) was stir fry - ground beef, green pepper, onion, carrot, and zucchini in sesame oil with some worcestershire sauce, garlic, sesame seeds, and red pepper flakes.  It was, to my utter surprise, sweet.  It was also surprisingly thick, like gravy textured.

Iced tea and water got me through the day at school, and then I ate a handful of dark chocolate chips before I went about making dinner.

I'm quite pleased with how dinner turned out!



Now, I'm fully aware that Butternut Squash Soup is not supposed to be chunky.  I've never eaten a butternut squash before, and I only briefly skimmed over a few recipes online before I got bored of sitting... so this is my own concoction.

1 butternut squash
1/2 cooking onion
2 carrots
6 strips of bacon
1 spoonful of garlic
1 pinch of fennel seeds
1 pinch of coriander powder
1 pinch of cumin seeds
1 pinch of paprika
1 apple
chicken bullion or chicken broth (I boiled the bullion with the garlic... no I have no clue how much water I used)

So I don't measure things... kinda like I don't read directions... But it was super yummy (albeit a little sweet)!  I cooked the bacon first and pulled it out, cooked the chopped squash in the grease (actually I had to add some more from the cup in the fridge, about two spoonfuls).  If I do it again, I'll remember to mash up the squash and the apple (I used a red delicious since that's what I had) before adding the carrot or the broth (less water next time), and I might skip the fennel seed.  Apparently, although I know it from making soup curry, fennel seed makes things sweeter... This was borderline too sweet for me - I kinda wanted to sprinkle some chili powder in it.

At any rate, food was good today.  I'm full and, headache check - only a light headache right now in my temples, though my back is incredibly unhappy today.

I'm thinking about ways to lower my stress, and I think I need better sleep at a more regular time. No more studying until 2 AM.  I want to get up earlier, like I was over the summer.  So, in Michigan, the sun sets pretty early and the sky isn't always blue.  Winter sucks like that sometimes, but if humans can alter their rhythms to survive nocturnally (been there, done that), then there have to be a few things I can do to extend/increase my "daylight" hours to give me a fuller day while still shutting down for night time at a decent hour.  I'm going to try candles, and getting off my computer (this will be one of the last things I do tonight).

I've also been skimping on the "play time."  Actually I've been skimping on "me time" altogether.  So I need to figure out when/how I can do that every day, or at least every other day.... just for a little bit, so I can turn school off.  It's so different being a worker and being a student.  When you work, sure, you think about your job, your students, what you did, what you can do better on your off hours, but they're still "off hours."  You walk out of the building and that's it.  You're done for the day (generally).  Now, I'm only in class about seven hours a week, I study in the library probably about the same amount, but then I come home and I study at my desk, I read on the couch, I do homework at the kitchen table, it just doesn't end.  And I have no end of homework and studying - which is great, this isn't a complaint - but then come night time when I want to sleep, it just doesn't happen.  I'm tired and stressed so what work I have and can do takes that much longer to finish, which stresses me out more, and it's just not a cycle I want to live in for the next five years (yeah, okay, it'll probably be longer, but I can dream!).

Step 1 - identify the problem - complete!
Step 2 - consider solutions - in progress

And now for something completely different.
Soushi is doing good!  He's running around, being cuddly, eating, drinking, being normal... dare I hope whatever it was has passed?  Do I get to keep my kitty?? :D  Lots of thanking and hoping from this end.

And because it is November 1st, I'm obligated to say.... I will not be doing NaNoWriMo this year.  I considered it... crazy as my life is, I did actually consider it, and then I decided that it just wasn't worth it.  My stories are still very much in my head, but they'll just have to stay there a little longer.  Maybe over Christmas break?

I think I may take myself hiking this weekend.  There are a few state parks not too horribly far.  It'd be nice to get outside and moving around.  I will resist the urge to bring one (or more) of the books off the pile on my desk. -_-

Speaking of books, I have some reading to do for tomorrow before it's computers off time.  That's all for now.

No comments: