Thursday, 29 November 2012

Carnival!

I wish.  I know the weather isn't the greatest for it, but they really should have more "holiday" (i.e. between Thanksgiving and Christmas) carnivals.  That would be amazing.  Talk about ways to de-stress... Nothing like throwing darts at targets you'll never hit!

Anyway, the point of this was to share another recipe! It actually turned out, and I'm amazed.  Well, truth be told, the meat was dry... I'm not entirely sure why other than maybe because I had to defrost it a bit in the microwave.  One would think meat would be the easiest part....


Honestly, you could do this without the beef patties.  I've just eaten nothing but fruit and nuts all day, and I feel a bit like a squirrel, so I wanted meat.  Otherwise the squash is entirely vegan.  Unfortunately.... I don't really measure things (I'm pretty sure I mentioned this before), but I paid a bit more attention to what I threw in there today, so here goes:

1 carnival squash
1 peeled Granny Smith apple
1/4 Sweet onion
Coconut oil
a handful of pecans
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon (stole this from a recipe I got the idea from, so it's the only thing I measured :P)
two small spoons (I used my regular kitchen spoons) full of real maple syrup
a few fennel seeds
a pinch of ground coriander
a pinch of ground cumin
some dried (unsweetened) coconut flakes

Oven on 375F.

And now you know the random things I have in my kitchen when I'm otherwise out of food.... (I still have a random acorn squash and butternut squash sitting on my kitchen table waiting for me to get bored and make them)  If you have the fennel, coriander, and cumin, you're half way to having the spices for soup curry... which is freaking amazing, and one day I will have the ingredients at the same time as I have the wherewithal to make the soup and I'll put up the recipe.  It's delicious.

Anyway, back to the squash.  It's a winter squash, and it's way harder to cut than acorn squash.  Apparently, you don't eat the skin either.  Learn something new every day.  The squash itself was pretty sweet.  Cut it in half - I suppose it doesn't matter either way since you end up having to scoop out the insides with a spoon anyway - and clean out the pulp.  Set the halves on a cookie sheet cut side up and coat the flesh with coconut oil.  I sprinkled a little ground coriander and ground cumin here and put two or three fennel seeds in each.  Stick in oven for 15 minutes.

While I was waiting for this to be done, I peeled and cut up my Granny Smith apple and onion.  I used the sweet onion rather than the cooking one partly because the cooking ones I currently have are really potent right now, and partly because the sweet onions are just yummier.  Anyway, toss those in a small mixing bowl with some chopped up pecans (about enough to fit in your palm whole).  Add the 1/4 tbsp of cinnamin, a spoonful of coconut oil (or two... I might have added another spoonful), and two spoonfuls of maple syrup.  I'm going to cry when I run out of my maple syrup.  It's the stuff my boss bottled.  I'm going to have to drive up to TC again to get more from him next summer... it tastes nothing like the store bought thick icky sweet stuff.  It's sweet, but it's basically a liquid.  If you don't have good maple syrup for this, maybe use a smaller amount of honey and more coconut oil.  For one, it'll be too thick and too sweet, and for two, the Aunt Jemima type stuff you can get is really just full of crap you don't need.  I mean seriously, if you have to make something gluten free that comes off of a tree naturally.... o.O  Really?  Not to mention it's generally got high fructose corn syrup in it.... and it's already a syrup you can boil down to make sugar naturally.... that's just not right.  Don't believe me? Go read the labels.  So seriously, if you don't have good syrup, you could probably skip it altogether and just use more coconut oil to keep the fruit moist.

So anyway, toss all that in a mixing bowl, stir it up, and when the time goes off, scoop it into the open halves.  I had some extra that I stuck in a casserole bowl and baked on a separate rack.  The fruit baked down as it dried out, so when I pulled the halves out I was able to fill it back up with the extra from the casserole dish.  Twenty minutes later, poof, done.

If you're really curious, I mixed the ground beef with some ground coriander, ground cumin, red pepper flakes, a spoonful of minced garlic, and some paprika.  If they hadn't been so dry, the meatballs probably would have been pretty good.  I also used the same mixing bowl, so they probably got a little bit of the coconut oil and maple syrup on them.  But yeah, dry meat was fail.  The squash was delicious though, and really filling.  My roommate ate half (and threw the last meatball away... totally would have eaten that!) and was stuffed.  I'm satisfied, but like I said, I've eaten like a squirrel all day. The only bad thing about the squash was that it's a little hard to dig the flesh out to eat.... especially when the skin is hot and slippery with coconut oil (I didn't cover the skin with it, but somehow it got there...).

So yeah, there's another Primal recipe for you.  I was going to go to the gym tonight.... but the cooking and eating took longer than expected and I want to be in bed by midnight so... tomorrow it is?  If I can swing it.  So much work to do, so little time to get it all done.  Let me know if you make the squash though and what you think.  It took about an hour total, but you don't have to really prepare much before, and the last twenty minutes are really just waiting for it to be done so, yay clean up time.

And now time for me to dive back into translating Heike.  The characters are more amusing as I get them into English (or even modern Japanese), so I'm definitely at a more enjoyable point in this project.  So yeah... back to that.

No comments: