Monday, 27 August 2012

Just Keep Swimming

Trying to stay positive.  The apartment is good, it's close to school, close to schools to work at, close to life-things like Meijer and gas stations, a bit close to the ghetto, but my complex has a lot of families and seems decent, amazing even, considering the area.  I'm just not a fan of not landing on my feet.  It's hard to think of myself as a student when I'm turning 27 in under a month, but that's what I am when it comes down to it.  I feel like I'm expected to be better off, and I want to be better off, at least have some breathing room, but only time will tell if the financial situation is going to clear up.  I've got my name in at a few companies, waiting for my substitute teaching company to process my paperwork (again, and they're taking way too long at it), but I've never been good at the waiting game, especially when I know that what I've already laid out just isn't going to be enough, and there's not a damn thing I can do about it at this point.  Not a fan of not being in control.  And one of the part time jobs I was counting on fell through for this semester.  I need to fly to Raleigh to get finger printed (seriously, Michigan uses computers to finger print, just accept the freaking file I paid $90 for last year!) and fill out paperwork and prove I'm me (I understand this better than state institutions obstinately not cooperating with each other), then I have to wait two to three weeks for my prints to process (of course) and the cheapest flight I've found is over $300.... which is how much it will cost me to buy a bed, and I still need new tires for my car... so it's not happening, at least not any time soon.  I'm bummed, because I was really looking forward to the job.  Of course, it means I won't be working 50 hours a week now, but still.  I hate the system in which you have to have money to get a job.  It seems like anything above minimum wage jobs requires some kind of investment, either clothes for an office, money for finger printing, plane tickets for an interview, or some kind of permit.  Just saying, the system is messed up.  But I've already invested in office attire, so hopefully I can get an office job nearby so the $3.95/gallon gas price doesn't take half of my pay like it did last year.

I have all the spices to make curry... I don't have my cooking knife... GRR!! I want something yummy for dinner.  At least the veggies for soup curry are super cheap.  Might be able to clean and use my pocket knife.  Necessity is the mother of invention.  I'm tired of sitting in this library.  Food will be had!

No comments: