Thursday, 2 February 2012

Buried in Books

Not that I'm really complaining, as I actually enjoy being buried in a mound of books (not literally, of course, that would be painful), but it does make for busy days and weeks.  I haven't done much else aside from reading for the last three weeks.  I did get to see my great-grandma a couple times and hang out with other family.  That's always nice, especially outside of parties.  I hate parties.

I finished the first of my books for class today, Marines in the Revolution: A History of the Continental Marines in the American Revolution, 1775-1783 by Charles Smith.  So, the title is stereotypically dry, but I thought the subject matter would be interesting... it was, but gah was it a dry book!!  Dates, battles, people, names (ships and people), numbers, weights, and basically a play-by-play of the Marine Corps between 1775-1783.... Fair enough, it's what the title said, but lord was it hard to read.  I liked the maps and journal entries, and it was interesting to go more in depth into the battles since we only spent a few minutes covering Nassau and Penobscot Bay in class, and really skipped over the rest... But basically the story was a cycle of Captain So-and-so commissioned, looking for crew for Such-and-such ship, can't find any because the Navy paid crap and they were actually obligated to engage British ships instead of snatching merchant ships like the privateers, maybe get just enough to get underway, crew nears mutiny, British take the ship or the American officers argue over who's in command and thus the mission ends with the Americans either limping home or in prison.  Definitely not the highest point in U.S. military history. :P  I'm okay with reading dry narrative, but there was a lot of name, number, place, and date overload in it.  And now I get to write a review for class.  I may throw it up here if I remember to once the semester is over.

So the book count is now 3/24.  I'm on track!  And I have a couple more books for class that I'm about halfway through, or more, so amazingly, this semester I shouldn't fall behind in my completed books count.  Last semester was all journals and chapters.

Leaving off on a huge bummer - one of the professors who said he would write a recommendation for me never sent it in.  I'm a bit appalled if not overly surprised.  Mostly I'm just bummed, because it means U-M and WMU are both out, at least for next year, but that means there must be something better for me to look for.

No comments: