Monday, 2 January 2012

2012

I'm going to optimistically say that nothing could be worse than the end of 2010 through 2011 was, and then I'm not going to dwell on all the bad.  Moving right along, I'm not one to do New Year's resolutions, but I am a fan of goals.  Why?  Cause then I get little yay rewards along the way and a nice sense of satisfaction when I can look back and go "Ooh! Progress!!" without the pressure of "Today = suck, so not gonna... damn, I broke my resolution."  Win-win in my book.

I'm only going to briefly look back on 2011's goals, cause, well, if you've read blog this and/or know me, you already know why.  So, my goals:

  • 50 books in a year - not quite
  • Get back to America with my cats - success
  • Get into grad school - still in progress, success if you nix the "grad" part of that

Books I read in 2011:
  1. Tennyson, Idylls of the King
  2. de Troyes, Eric & Enide★
  3. Cliges
  4. Yvain, the Knight of the Lion★
  5. Lancelot, Knight of the Cart☆
  6. Beah, A Long Way Gone☆
  7. Machiavelli, The Prince★
  8. Bradley, Mists of Avalon
  9. Golding, Lord of the Flies☆
  10. Twain, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
  11. Voltaire, Candide☆
  12. Silko, Ceremony★
  13. White, Once and Future King☆
  14. Lynch, The Lies of Locke Lamora☆
  15. Martin, A Game of Thrones★
  16. Harris, Dead Until Dark☆
  17. Living Dead in Dallas

☆ means I liked them or they were at least interesting, ★ means they were really freaking good

So, I read 17 books in 2011.  School happened, and if partial books counted, I could add at least another 20 onto that, but I'm only counting books that I read start to finish.  I possibly missed one or two, but since I don't remember it, and didn't write about it, it obviously wasn't worth counting.  And apparently, no surprise, after February I stopped writing reviews, so only a few have review links.

Anyway, reading goal for 2012, match or better.  I'm going to be ambitious and say 24.  Here's a short list of which ones I'm thinking (I'm running low on King Arthur this year :P)
  1. Lolita - almost finished
  2. Mozart's Letters, Mozart's Life - probably going to take me all year
  3. A Clash of Kings
  4. A Storm of Swords
  5. A Feast for Crows
  6. A Dance with Dragons
  7. The Winds of Winter
  8. American Gods
And I'm eying the Discworld books and may read more of the Southern Vampire Mysteries if book 3 is less sexy vapidness than book 2 was... if not, book 2 was pretty high on the side of boring outweighing amusing plot, and, even though I read them for mindless urban fantasy, I'm not a huge fan of vapid.   We shall see.  And considering I'm taking 5 history classes this semester... I'll either have all those textbooks included or another three months of being buried under stacks of partially read books and articles.

Ok, so if I put that include that babble in the list, my goals for 2012 are as follows:
  • 24 books in a year
  • get into grad school
  • lose 30 pounds
  • pass JLPT N1
Some other things I'd like to do this year, though they're not "goals" so much as "that'd be nice" are:
  • have a small garden this summer
  • set up an etsy account for my bead guys (active, but there's nothing listed)
  • get a job up near Traverse City for the summer
  • pack as much money as I can into savings while paying down some more debt
  • go kayaking at least once
  • go hiking in woods I don't already know at least once
  • go camping at least once
  • swim in one of the Great Lakes at least once
  • have another craft day with my mom and aunts
  • win NaNoWriMo
On that note, 2012 is, as of January 2nd, far less terrifying to look forward to than 2011 was.  I can't say I'm excited or anything, though I'm trying to be, but I am hopeful.  I've got my family and friends back, I may be an emotional wreck still, but at least my head is clear, and I have good goals that are within my reach (finally!).

Also, Soushi cat is a bully!  Poor Ophelia just got kicked out of another comfy spot.


This actually isn't the spot (that would be the seam of the two sofa cushions), but he looked sufficiently satisfied at stealing a seat in this picture (from New Year's Eve) that I felt the need to add it.

This is already uber long, but I'm thinking I might make a 2011 in photos post as I continue to procrastinate on my statements of purpose for grad school (I have one intro!).... or maybe that'll be my reward for getting one of the drafts done... we'll see.  At any rate, Happy New Year to everyone reading, God bless you, and I hope 2012 is amazing for everyone.

No comments: