Friday, 28 January 2011

Trying to relax this weekend

I've been really sick this whole week, so I made sure I had enough groceries to last me the weekend, and I don't plan on leaving the house until tomorrow evening.  I had to leave briefly because I dropped my Downy ball off the balcony when I was doing my laundry... but that aside.  I  kinda want to walk, but I don't think the cold is good for me right now, so I'm going to stay warm and try to relax.  Relaxing is a little difficult.  I would like to be packing or cleaning, but I can't pack without more boxes, and I can't really clean because there's so much junk in the way, not to mention a tower of already packed boxes.  le sigh.  I'm thinking I'm going to drag my stuff up into the loft and curl  up there for the afternoon, ignore the mess down here.

I finished two more books, A Long Way Gone and Yvain, the Knight of the Lion, which puts me at 5/50.  I really liked Yvain.  It was a lot of fun to read, and the story was pretty good.  A Long Way Gone was really interesting in some ways, but it's so sad.  It's a memoir by Ishmael Beah about his childhood during the civil war in Sierra Leone.  I remember hearing news about that as a kid, and he's not much older than I am, so it was strange to read.  He spent a long time running from the war then got forced into fighting for the military.  Two years later he was pulled out by UNICEF and rehabilitated.  Some of his friends, though, weren't accepted by their family, and some ended up having to go back to the war, which was really really sad.  His uncle took him in, but not too long after the war reached the capital city and he was running again. 

I'm not going to lie, it made me cry.  It makes me cry just thinking about it.  It's bad enough that war involves civilians sometimes - that sometimes both sides attack them, sometimes they get caught in the crossfire, indirectly it always effects them.  But to take a child, give him or her a gun, then drug them to take away the need to cope with what they're doing and shove them into a battle... and continue to do that, it's just inexcusable.  I know this is something I've said before, but I don't understand how the U.S. can justify its military support of countries that are using child soldiers.  It's wrong, and yet we do it.  We make exceptions because it's in our interests, or some bullshit like that.  The United States has a lot to work out with their stance on the issue, I think, and it's sad that it's not even really a public issue.  We act like we're morally superior to the eastern world when we're really just a strong group of uninformed hypocrites.  Wars don't touch us.  We didn't see them as children, they don't threaten our heated and air conditioned homes, the misguided extremists who attacked us were punished (ignoring the fact that one of them was 15 when he committed his crime).  It's all just really, really sad, because the rest of the world is nothing like North America, and most people in North America, the ones with the money and the status to do something about it, don't know that.

No comments: