Saturday, 11 December 2010

Grad school

Yeah, I know, I should be writing my report.

One of the things I talked to mom about was grad school.  Realistically, I need a master's degree and experience to be a professor.  I think that's what I want to do with my life, at least as a base of operations type deal (see a few posts ago for amusement span - I'll be doing peripheral things to keep me entertained, but I think I'd like to be a professor).  So... I like history and literature.  Either one would be the same difficulty of getting into, both would be just as likely to get me a job afterward.  So which do I start with?  I want to study medieval history and Latin.  I want to study Native American history and Ojibwe. I want to study literature and write a thesis on Le Morte D'Arthur.  I said it as a joke, but as we were talking, I feel less joking about it, but I'm tempted to apply for all three and see which I get.  I wonder if that would backfire with me getting all three....

I really do love studying history, and I could go on for hours about literature.  They really go hand in hand, in my opinion.  Well, for me they do anyway.  I like knowing about the time when a book was written, like Le Morte D'Arthur or A Tale of Two Cities.  I don't think you can really understand the books without knowing the history around them.  If I study literature, I would apply to MSU.  If I go for Native American studies, the same.  If I go for medieval studies, Western.  I wonder if I shouldn't start thinking about personal statements and thesis ideas for applying to all three and just tossing them out there.  I wonder if that would work.  I wonder if I did get accepted into only one if I'd then pitch a fit because I'd find out then that I really wanted one of the ones I didn't get.  Life seems to work like that.  Hmmm.

I think I'm thinking too much about things other than Rites of Conquest and how it fits into the study of Michigan history...

No comments: