Monday, 6 December 2010

50 books

I can't say what 2011 will bring, and to be honest, thinking of it scares me more than a little.  Still, I want to make goals that I can work toward, and since I have a very short amusement span (different than attention span - I can pay attention if I choose to, I just usually get bored so I don't), I'm making a few different goals.  So here's the biggest one, I think.  At least, this one is very definitely going to take me the whole year, and since, as stated above, I have a short amusement span, and I also tend to choose long books, I may not get it done, but we'll see.  I'm going to do my best at any rate.

So, fifty books in one year.  Anybody up for joining me?  I haven't compiled a complete list yet, and probably won't, again, see above amusement span, but here's what I have so far.

This month I'm finishing up some books I started.  I'm less than 100 pages from finishing The Lord of the Rings, and I have a bit left on Life in a Medieval Castle.  I want to read Dickens's A Christmas Carol since I never get into the holidays and I'm thinking of giving it a shot, but we'll see.

Books that are top on my reading list are:
Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko
The World Without Us by Alan Weisman
Soul Music by Terry Pratchett
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
The Pearl by John Steinbeck
Henry V by William Shakespeare
Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
Rules for Radicals by Saul Alinsky
1Q84 by Murakami Haruki
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain

Tentative, but I'm going to keep track of what I read here, though I probably won't do thorough reviews on all of them.  I've read a few out of that list before, but it was so long ago that I hardly remember them.  1Q84 has four books out so far.  I have book 1.  I've been told that Murakami Haruki is a really good writer, but I'm still waiting to see how book 1 goes before getting 2-4.... an easier to use dictionary would also be helpful :P haha, but that's unlikely.

Any suggestions on what I should read?  If you don't want to do fifty, but maybe you'd do 20 or 30, let me know!  It's a challenge, no doubt, but I think it'd be fun.

On that note, I have a book report to write for class that I haven't even started. >.< Gah.  Guess I should get on that, eh?  It was a rather good book, actually.  Rites of Conquest by Charles Cleland.  I'll post my review up here once the class is over.  Don't want the prof thinking I copied it off myself.

2 comments:

Budd said...

1Q84 might be interesting. I think I am burnt out on Murakami right now. His novels are starting to all be the same and filled with the same tropes. Let me know how you like it.

shakespeare.gurl said...

I will. I've never read anything by him. I'm not expecting anything amazing, but I'm hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised.