Sunday, 7 March 2010

Weekends are wonderful things

Friday night, Lindsey and I wandered around for hours, waiting for free-time to start at karaoke so we could afford to go (1500 for 10-3 vs. 600 per hour).  We found a really cool arcade up by Nerima, hung out there for a while, wandered some more, then stayed at karaoke for around 3 to 4 hours.  It was fun, exhausting, and very needed.

Yesterday we went up to Toys R Us in Shimura and got a puzzle and a puzzle mat.  It was a puzzle day, rainy and cold.  The picture is of the four gods, suzaku, seiryuu, gembu, and the tiger that I can never remember, basically the phoenix, blue dragon, turtle-snake, and tiger.  It's gorgeous, and really, really difficult.  We got all the faces so far, and part of the border, but the phoenix tail is so big, and the background is all shades of brown, that it's really hard to find what goes where.  We worked on it through two discs of firefly.. so 8 episodes... not sure how long that totals out to be.

Today I need to go to the grocery store, but I think I'm going to put that off a bit longer.  I definitely have to go though, I need cat food and litter.  I made hamburger helper for me, and mmm was it good.  I don't think I'll need much for dinner, probably just eat edamame.  I want to finish A Tale of Two Cities today, but I don't know if I will.  I have a little under half left.

I went through the reading list the professor gave me and wrote down my own starter reading list.  Some of these, not gonna lie, I'm very much not looking forward to.

Metaphyiscis, Beowulf, The Song of Roland, Canterbury Tales, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Le Morte D'Arthur, King Lear, Shakespeare's sonnets, Paradise Lost, Faust, Les Miserables, Great Expectations, Oliver Twist, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Anna Karenina, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Wasteland, Waiting for Godot, The Chronicles of Narnia, Catcher in the Rye, Death of a Salesman, Fahrenheit 451, Mists of Avalon.

I've read A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, but I really don't remember any of it.  I was in elementary school... Mists of Avalon is likewise buried under dozens of other books about the same Arthur legend in my memory.  I don't know that I ever finished reading Beowulf.  I think I got distracted by wanting to learn Anglo-Saxon.  And the only thing I remember about Catcher in the Rye is the one guy nodding.

Anyway, I have a few of those on my reader that I got for free, which means the editing is going to be horrible and there are going to be spelling errors everywhere (I don't think they edited those after they scanned them), but I guess I'll start with those.  I need to grab my Shakespeare collection when I'm home.  I don't remember what's all in the big book, but I know I at least have the sonnets in there.  I've been wanting to read Le Morte D'Arthur for a long time, from back when I was on my Arthur kick in Jr. high, so I'm pretty excited for that one.  Not so much so for Metaphysics.  I'm more thinking "gag me with a spoon" on that one.

I love being able to keep a whole library on my reader.  I'd be so upset about having to either transport all the books I have from home to here, or buying them here and having to transport them back or get rid of them somehow.  Sometimes I really love technology.  Now the ebook publishers and bookstores need to get over themselves and stop putting so much DRM on the files so the market can improve.  Or somebody needs to come up with a library system... that would be awesome.

I think I'm going to go curl up with my book now.  Yay for comfy couches, warm blankets, cats, and good books.  One day I'll get a better copy of A Tale of Two Cities so I can read it without having to sift through typos (like "bad" instead of "had"). ^_^

No comments: