Friday, 7 March 2008

1984

That was probably the eeriest book I've ever read - mostly because, while it would take pretty much World War 3 to get there, I can see it happening. The main character, Winston Smith, was simply believable. And the whole thing was very well written, I thought. Big Brother scares me. Actually, not so much Big Brother as O'Brien and the Thought Police. Mostly O'Brien. Mostly the fact that he doesn't just let you die or fake believing in Big Brother. He makes you learn Doublethink and Crimestop, and love Big Brother, then he lets you die, or he lets you live like that. Either way, he doesn't let you out until you're no longer your own person. Most of the book was Winston's struggle to keep the Party out of his head, but in the end it was the Thought Police who almost set him up to betray the Party so they could get into his head.

At any rate, it's a creepy book, but one I'm really glad I read. I can't believe it's taken me this long to get around to reading it. But I couldn't put it down. I'd say it's up there on my list of best books, but I don't know that I'll be able to read it again for a long time, just because the type of story doesn't lend itsself to being read over and over. Unless I was in a lit class. That could be fun to do in a lit class with an intelligent professor and maybe 5 intelligent classmates. I'm so glad we never read that book for lit though. hehe.

No comments: